Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Banana Bread Recipe

According to this book (which I highly recommend everyone read, esp. creative types), baking is good for creativity. Something about all that mixing and preparing of food helps us to prepare creative projects in our subconsciousness. Today I made Banana Nut Bread with a recipe from my sister's friend's mom. We've been making this in our house for years now and I'd like to pass it on to you!


You will need:
  • 3 overly ripe (I'm talking brown!) smashed bananas
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • Optional add ins such as choc. chips or crushed pecans
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or 300 degrees for a flat loaf pan).
  2. In a large bowl, mix melted butter into smashed bananas with a wooden spoon.
  3. Mix in sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla.
  4. Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
  5. Add flour last (I like to do this part in batches) and mix in.
  6. Add any additions, like nuts or semi-sweet chocolate chips! Mix 'em in!
  7. Pour contents of bowl into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle additional add-ins on top.
  8. Bake for approx. one hour (my oven runs hot so I do 50 min.)-or 45 min. for a flat pan.
  9. Cool pan on a rack.
*For a healthier alternative, I use all purpose whole grain flour instead of bleached flour. It doesn't change the taste at all in my opinion, and adds a lot of extra nutrients. I also choose to cut down on the sugar a bit, maybe by 1/4 cup, since I think bananas are sweet enough on their own. This recipe is delicious with semi-sweet chocolate chips added in, but I've been watching my sugar intake lately. I hope you enjoy! If you use this recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment