Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reflections on 26


I turned 26 this past Monday. This is an awesome online birthday greeting sent to me (complete with shiny diamonds, rainbows, and a unicorn) by my sister, Rowan, and her boyfriend Drew. Also included are Zoe (the white dog) and Bella. I just love the dogs faces in this photo. They are not happy AT ALL to be wearing hats! (I miss you all SO MUCH!!!)

Creeping close to age 30 is a strange thing for me. For the first time in my life I am more aware of my mortality than ever. It's funny though, because I don't consider 30 to be "old" at all. In fact, I feel that I am entering into the prime years of my life. I finally have a concrete sense of who I am, what I want out of life, and am the most content I have ever been in my time on this plane, thus far. The future is bright and I look to it with renewed hope. However, this passing birthday held some sobering awakenings for me.

First of all, and the most sobering of them by far, is my health. I applied (and was accepted) for individual health insurance this month. This was a new process for me. I've either been uninsured or covered under my parents' plan thus far, and applying for individual health coverage with no help from an employer was a different experience. I've never been completely healthy. My major health problems started at the age of 13, thanks to a thyroid disease, and have plagued me every few years since then. I am thankful that nothing super serious has ever come up ("super serious" being a term that differs greatly depending on who you ask) but the point is that I have never been in "good health". I've never taken charge of my situation. My attempts to get fit in the past have been mild, at best. I realized this year that needs to change, more than ever.

My monthly payment for health insurance is higher than what was quoted to me because of my weight. Insurance companies don't care what you look like, they simply calculate risk. And my risk for future health issues is raised by my weight. It's a fact. I'm not ashamed of my body. On the contrary I am rather comfortable in it. But what I've realized is I need to put in the efforts to get fit, get in better shape, if my body is going to last me to a ripe old age. And as a result I would like to lose 30 pounds. I'm going to lose 30 pounds.

I bought a wellness journal and pedometer and have already begun my journey toward better health. This week alone I've logged 3 miles on my pedometer, and my goals toward covering more distance will only rise. Our fridge is now full of healthy foods: fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, chicken. I already feel better. More importantly I feel empowered.

I know I'm not the only person out there struggling to be healthy, to lose weight. Our country is plagued by obesity. I choose to share all of this with you because I hope to aid in the fight against this disease (it really is a disease) and share hope/inspiration with others on a similar path as mine. So from here on out, you'll probably see more in this blog about health. I plan on sharing some healthy recipes for sure! And of course, I will continue to blog about my number one passion in life: art.

It feels good to be 26. Cheers to all the other April birthdays out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment